Sunday, January 13, 2008

By popular demand . . .

Browser issues . . . and late night Rock Band issues . . . have prevented adequate hoarding of appropriate links for this discerning audience. That, and the fact that we have had to call multiple staff meetings over here to work on how we might combat the Aspen Truffle Promotion Board's formidable wooing campaign. Never to be outdone, however, we present you with a few interesting touchpoints from the series of tubes:

The Dead Bug Funeral Kit is a hoot, though I feel it could be done even better. In fact, one could develop an entire line of semi-archival quality, Royal Tennenbaums/Wes Anderson style artifacts like this. Time capsules, lost teeth, personal firsts, locks of hair, you name it.

My vial of spit was finally delivered to 23andme.com and I should know my genetic testing results within four to six weeks. It took great lengths to pull my name off the files. Strange to see how my perceptions of privacy have evolved. In the meantime, this site is a great primer on the basics.

This was a pretty legit article on big wave surfing and Mavericks. One of the challenges I first had when I started was finding people or resources to have fact and science based conversations with me out there. In my opinion, the stereotypes apply to most guys in the water and the few who are serious know the mechanics of the water in and out.

This post has been making its way around the digerati blogs over the last couple of days asking us to reconsider ten common logical myths. Let me say that I love thinking like this. Calling bullshit on teachers as a kid as they would spout off American history fallacies was a passion of mine. That said, there still isn't necessarily a sense of web authentication or social proof of the value of this site, so I am hesitant to share this too broadly.

Maybe there are more differences than parallels, but sometimes I think watching Bode Miller can help you understand me. He just won Wengen's downhill giving him a tie for most World Cup victories by an American. You might remember a Wengen poster from my living room. It is grey background with a guy in the air, arms flailing. It is no accident I put that one up. It's my style and Bode's. He is not capable of being conventional. He just doesn't have it in his bones. Bode rethinks every aspect of the sport and just goes for it. Along the way, he is polarizing. People either love him or reject him. They can't digest him. When he finishes, he wins by outrageous margins, but he also crashes more than anyone out there. This has been my biggest challenge in trying to train for this race. The books, coaches, etc. all tell me I have to find my middle gear. I have to discover level 5. So far, it has been futile and I feel overwhelmed when I try. Thinking about it gets me emotional.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me think of you:
http://brainsells.blogspot.com/2008/01/free-air-guitar-outdoor-ad.html